Sunday, September 14, 2008

THE KING OF THE BOYS

My Daughter, the Waterbaby, was about 5 when we let her watch "Dirty Dancing" with Patrick Swayze as Johnny Castle.. It became her favorite movie, and she would watch it regularly.
One Saturday afternoon, having watched it through with her, she turned to her mother and asked:
"Mommy, is Johnny like the King of the Boys"
Her mother, delighted, just grinned and said
"Oh yes honey, he certainly is the King of the Boys"
I took this oppoortunity to flex my arm muscles while doing a little dance move and claimed to the two leading ladies in my life:
"But I thought I was King of the Boys".
They just looked at each other and laughed.
"Oh, daddy, your'e so silly" says the Baby.
"I thought you were supposed to be mowing the yard" says her mother.
"Who wants to try doing a lift" was all I could think to say.

I asked the Waterbaby a few weeks ago if it were wrong for us to let her watch "Dirty Dancing"
at such a young age. She is all grown up now, almost 20.
"No, daddy, 'Dirty Dancing" was Okay, but you might not shoulda let me watch "Roadhouse".

5 comments:

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

hahaha! I think of all those cartoons which were so violent and had many sexual innuendos (betty boop, e.g.); they were hysterical! Never made me a pervert or a killer. But know what you mean.
btw, am so glad everyone is ok. My prayers to all those who were affected! Stay safe and well!

Barbara said...

I love it when my adult children tell me how we were such bad parents to let them do something they begged to do. When our daughter was 8 (and our son 11), we let them spend the summer at the pool unsupervised, mainly because we knew there were non-working moms around if indeed they desperately needed one. Our daughter recently told us we were negligent to do that! Sometimes you can't win...

We never censored what they could watch on video. I always figured that my saying NO would make sure they would see it somewhere.

Mother of Invention said...

I just saw Dirty Dancing for the first time a few weeks ago only because we are going to see the live musical on Sept. 28th in Toronto! I'm excited about seeing it. Haven't seen one for awhile and I love musicals.

kissyface said...

Yeah, because Roadhouse is dreadful, though it has attained some sort of odd kitschy cult-status.

kissyface said...

(and clearly, YOU are more entertaining.)