Wednesday, December 12, 2018

WHO'S YOUR HUCKLEBERRY?




Down in San Antonio two weeks ago I made a dinner reservation at a nice restaurant.
After I hung up I had to call him back because I had a question about their dress code. 
In a voice that became increasingly more hayseed:
“Silo Prime, can I help you?”
“Um, yes ma’am, I’m Steve Renfro and I just called and made reservations at your fancy restaurant a couple minutes ago”
“Yes sir Mr Renfro”
Aw Shucks, no need for all that mister stuff. Listen here, I’se looking at your menu online here, and I see that you have a dress code. Its says “Casual Elegant”. Now I know what casual is, but I’m concerned about the elegant part. I don’t really have any elegant with me. I got a real nice shirt. Its almost brand spankin’  new. Its my favorite shirt and looks purty good on me I don’t mind sayin’. Its got a collar, and come from the dry cleaners just yesterday so its pressed and everthing. Heavy starch, that’s what I like. Now my britches, I just got jeans, but they is my best jeans. They’s only a year old and pressed nice like the shirt. No holes or nuthin’, even down there at the bottom of the leg---what do they call that that, the cuff?—even that’s in purty good shape. They fit me nice in the rear, but I wish they was a little roomier in the front. And I do have a belt, but I usually wear my shirt tail out because I have reached a shape it jus’ don’t stay tucked too good. So what do you think, Ma’am?”
I heard her snicker a little bit. She said “We do not require a coat and a tie, and jeans, as you describe, are fine”.
“Ok, well, thank you I appreciate that. That’s what I was worried about. I do have a jacket, and I nearly brung it, but didn’t quite. Now about the shoes. I did bring some dress shoes cuz someone told me a long time ago sometimes it was important to wear nice shoes. But I’d really rather wear my sneakers. They’s pretty new too, and cost more than I shoulda paid. Will those be OK?  Because we plan to go walk the river after.”



No comments: