Thursday, June 01, 2017

OUR HIGHLY SKILLED AND INTELLIGENT STAFF ARE EAGERLY WAITING TO SERVE YOU

Once or twice a month when I’m driving my 6 minute commute to work I think about a conversation I had with a superior at HDQ five years ago.
We had a new program, and I was complaining about it.
All these mouse clicks. Box after box of redundant information. More redundant information, more mouse clicks leading to more redundant information, redundant information that also happened to be SUPERFLUOUS in my expert opinion.
My superior listened patiently as a blew off a bunch of steam.
I’m not sure what it takes to light a fire under this guy, but he is always so calm it makes me wonder what they are giving him.
Whatever it is, I don’t want it. I need my mania, my angst. I keeps me sharp. Keeps me on edge.
He said he would take a look at it all. Nothing really came from it. I think they removed one box that I no longer have to check off.

So like I said , I think about that conversation every now and then driving in to work.
And what it really boils down to is just one question:
“Do you want this job or not, Steve?”

Because for half the pay, instead of doing needless mouse clicks, I could be digging a ditch somewhere.

My Dad, far left and the team at Hobbs Trailers Fort Worth Branch, 1963

2 comments:

Low Rider said...

Welcome back Steve. I've missed your posts since April. You're one of my daily reads (or hope to read) and I appreciate your sharing.

Bulletholes said...

Hahaha...I didnt know I had any daily readers left. I've never taken a 30 day break like that. I just ran out of inclination to write. thanks for stopping by!