Friday, April 22, 2022

CRITICAL RACE THEORY

 

This image shows some of the graphics that prompted the state of Florida to reject four math books from use in public schools. The books, Florida said, were trying to sneak Critical Race Theory into the curriculum through a mathematics book. Based on my own personal experience, I have to agree.
Whatever happened to apples, oranges and widgets? Whatever happened to “Let X=Y”? When did math become a vehicle for making the obvious more obvious? Why does math be so relevant?
Teaching history and social studies through a mathematics book is not fair. It is not fair at all.
See, in my Junior year at LD Bell I had gotten a hold of some kind of weird pills that caused me to stumble badly through the smoking area.
I pretty much bounced off the walls in C and D hall, and by some miracle found myself in my seat for History class. And it so happened in that history class, I was the leader of some kind of group project, and the results of that project were due that day.
And in order to submit those results I was going to have to do some math.
Mrs Brown approached my desk and asked if I had the results. I told her I did not.
“Why not” she asked.
In a whimpering drug addled voice I tried to explain.
“Because this is history class, and the results would require me to math. I am a bit indisposed presently, and completely unable to math, which I should not have to do anyway because this is HISTORY class. You cant just cold cock this math thing on me in history class, man. Its not fair. Its not fair at all.”
I plopped my head down on my desk. I was done.
And she gave me a pass.
“OK Mr. Renfro, maybe you will feel better tomorrow”
Fact is I couldn't really math very good even in math class.


No comments: