Friday, April 15, 2022

EASTER IN DETROIT

 


In the corner of the backyard were the hydrangeas
Mother called them snowballs
Before the hydrangeas bloomed in the summer
there were little snowball blossoms
on the clover in the spring
which attracted the bees
Big black and yellow bumble bees
to come out from underground to buzz
around and drink from the clover.
And I wonder now why I never took a shovel and paid the
bees a visit.
Two giant plums that had more thorns than plums
A bird bath, a swing set,
And two tall thin acorns that Dave and I
climbed to the very top and swayed
while we looked out over Lake St Clair.
I remember showing my sister how to catch a bee in her hand
if you held it tight enough it could not sting your hand.
My little sister Lisa
Lisa only tried it once.
Lisa could not hold it tight enough.
Poor Lisa.
My mother wore me out.
STEVE, 2/6/2019

No comments: