Wednesday, June 28, 2023

'TWAS A BRAVE MAN FIRST ET AN OYSTER


 



My son Lee Rippy had a fishing expedition all set up for us but he had to work and couldn't make it. So I invited the son of Adorable to go. His name is Christian and he hasn't done a lot of fishing, so fishing in Galveston Bay is a big deal.
Christian made a great navigator and guided us through Google maps all over College Station trying to find Lee's apartment so we could drop shirts off, shirts his mother insisted that he have. It ended up costing us about 2 hours on the trip down.
Christian asked, as all kids do, after we dropped off the shirt "How much longer?"
When I told him 3 hours you could see him deflate. But he bounced back. He didn't whine or complain.
He said " thank you for taking me fishing" so that's a pretty good young man there.
On the way down Christian asks me
“When we get to the Bed and Breakfast can I have the master bedroom?”
“Sure” I says.
His face lights up big time.
“Really? I can have the master bedroom?”
He's completely stoked.
“Sure you can. Why are you so surprised?”
“Because mom wouldn’t have let me have the master”
I thought about it a second and said
“You know I’m sweet on your mom. But this trip isn’t about her. Its all about you. You get whatever you want. You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do. I told her she should come down with us, but I was just teasing. I think its better, just me and you”
Christian says “If she came with us she would be in the master and I would be on the couch”
I says “No, if she came with us, you would be in the second room and I would be on the couch”

He likes to eat and have Starbucks. Friday we had biscuits and gravy, 10 Jack in the box tacos, fiery hot Cheetos, and topped it off with fried crawfish coleslaw and fries when we got to Galveston. I'm sure I'm leaving something out.
Saturday was the best though. We caught a lot of fish, mostly small ones, and the prettiest little stingray you ever did see, but did bring home eight keepers. All 2 to 3 lb black drum which we will cook up in the next few weeks.
Saturday night we went to Tookie's seafood in Kemah, just east of Galveston. I swear it's one of the best meals I've had in a long time. We discovered Christian loves shellfish; crab, shrimp (for his entree' he had something unusual--six deviled eggs topped with blackened shrimp), crawdads, and he nearly stole all of my oysters on the half shell. Any man that likes oysters on the half shell is my kind of man.


No comments: