Thursday, July 06, 2023

LETTERS TO JAIL 2018



Hi ******!
Your mom is doing pretty good, all things considered. She's had like 6 surgery’s in 4 months, and now after getting the kidney removed she finds out she has a hernia and will probably need ANOTHER surgery next in April. I don't know how she does it.

Hope you are hanging in down there. I have a good friend in Henley, you should keep an eye out for her. Her name is ******, but she goes by Grace. That's like her "Jail" name or something. When I first came to NA she was one of the darlings of the group. Had 8-10 years clean I think. She had this wonderful story about herself and finding self-worth. Then she relapsed. And relapsed again. Went to jail, relapsed, then went to jail again, and now she is hoping
to get out this summer.

Me? I used for like 35 years and never got in trouble (with the law). but I burned my good life down I don’t know how many times. Then finally the law caught me.
I asked the guy I got busted with what was going to happen.
"Oh, its no big deal" he says "They'll give you 2 years, but you'll only do 6 months"
I'm like "NO BIG DEAL?" What are ya talking about? I am not a prison guy. I won't do well in there."
So the state gave me a program where if I stayed clean a year I wouldn’t have to go to prison. The big surprise for me was that I COULD stay clean. After 6 months I wasn’t just doing it. I was digging it. I didn’t expect that. I half figured I'd stay clean a year, then go back to using. Anyway, I don't wanna preach to ya, but I thought I'd send you a note and tell you to look for Grace. I sent her a note to look for you.
I'm very blessed. I have no idea what its like down there.
Peace to ya *****,

Steve r


No comments: