Friday, August 20, 2010

AUGUST HEAT

DRAWING BY MY PAL LARRY ALLEN, ca 1978

two nights before my 72nd birthday
by Charles Bukowski

sitting here on a boiling hot night while
drinking a bottle of cabernet sauvignon
after winning $232 at the track
there's not much I can tell you except
if it weren't for my bad right leg
I don't feel much different than I did
30 or 40 years ago
(except that now I have more money and should be able
to afford a decentburial).
also, I drive better automobiles and have
stopped carrying a switchblade.
I am still looking for a hero, a role model,
but can't find one.
I am no more tolerant of Humanity
than I ever was.
I am not bored with myself and find
that I am the only one I can
turn to in time of
crisis.
I've been ready to die for decades and
I've been practicing, polishing up
for that end
but it's very
hot tonight
and I can think of little but
this fine cabernet,
that's gift enough for me.
sometimes I can't
believe I've come this far,
this has to be some kind of goddamned
miracle!
just another old guy
blinking at the forces,
smiling a little,
as the cities tremble and the left
hand rises,
clutching
something
real.

I have a variation of Larry's drawing on my wall. It had always reminded me of a story I read in the Seventh Grade called "August Heat", written by William Harvey. This I have told Larry for almost as many years as his drawing has been in existence.
But I saw this poem today and I matched it to Larry's portrait. I think it fits quite well.
Now, I am going to provide you with a link to Harveys story.
CLICK HERE
I don't expect you to read it all, though it is a great short story, but I would love for you to take note of the date on the letterhead that begins the story and tell yourself that synchronicity does not abound today.
This August Heat.
Man.
Its givin' me chills

4 comments:

Annelisa said...

Like this!

xx

bulletholes said...

A-lisa, I hope you read the story-its a quick read and very nice.
Hi lisa!

dmarks said...

Wow. Looks a LOT like John Locke played by Terry O'Quinn in "Lost"

http://terryoquinn.fansiter.com/pictures/terry-o-quinn-john-locke1.jpg

but with a warm twinkle in his eye that Locke usually never had.

bulletholes said...

You are right Dmarks! Spittin' image.