Friday, January 10, 2020

GETTING TO WOODSTOCK












I wasn’t there for those three days.
I didn’t even want to be.
Twelve years old with a crew cut
I sported a George Wallace sticker on my notebook
That said “Law and Order”.

It was a year or two later,
Sometime after Kent State
But just before Watergate, 
My hair was growing longer 
And secretly I wanted to be a hippy, 
A child of God, 
Walking along the road 
And join in a rock and roll band. 
I wanted to be a hippy 
But my parents wouldn’t let me.

Then I had a car and a girl 
With ice cream lipstick that 
Danced like you wouldnt believe 
And I found out I didn't need their permission
I’m not too young to protest anymore
And I don’t need a passport
To get to the big show.

They say the traffic was backed down Route 17
And the New York thruway was closed.
Closed.
Half a million strong.
Isn’t that far out?
Who would expect anything less from Woodstock.

steve, 8/2016


With a tip o' the hat to Beth

No comments: