Friday, January 03, 2020

A PROUST QUESTIONAIRE

A NEW YEARS DAY INTROSPECTIVE. TRY IT YOURSELF!

1. What is your current state of mind? Blissful. I have some good old fashioned peas and collards cooking, and Chocolate Double Decker Moon Pies awaiting their fate.

2. What is your favorite journey? Minimum 5 days of camping and fishing at Toledo Bend Lake.

3. What is your idea of perfect happiness? Dancing in the kitchen with a pot on the stove and a little something in the oven.

4. What is your greatest fear? Being more than 5 feet off the ground. Make that 3 feet. NO GARAGE PARKING ANY HIGHER THAN THE SECOND LEVEL UNLESS WE ARE RIGHT NEXT TO THE ELEVATOR

5. What is your most marked characteristic? Loud and friendly. Some might say obnoxious. Whatever.

6. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? This pesky need to be right all the time.

7. What is the trait you most deplore in others? Dishonesty and closed-mindedness

8. What is your greatest extravagance? Brie Cheese en Croute.

9. What do you consider the most overrated virtue? Patriotism, especially when worn like some kind of codpiece... “the last refuge of the scoundrel and in some cases, the first.”

10. On what occasion do you lie? When it might cause a great harm or injury to others to tell the truth. Sometimes in order to protect someones dignity. A horrible lie is one I tell to protect my own dignity .

11. Dislike most about your appearance? I’m an apple, like my dad. Big pot belly. Totally distracts from my great legs. Also, puffy eyes all the time.

12. Which living person do you most despise? It’s a tie between Bill Maher and Donald Trump, and Will Farrell is on my do not watch list.

13. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? Got to stop calling everybody baby. Who do I think I am? Kojak? It used to be worse. When I first got married I started calling EVERYONE “Honey”.

14. What is your greatest regret? When mom was alive she would ask me when Shila and I were going to have kids. It embarrassed me to have her ask me that. I’d turn 3 shades of red. Then she would hold her arms like she was rocking a baby and say
“Stevie, you must hurry. It will be so terrible if I don’t get to hold it.”
I missed by about 18 months. Huge regret.

15. What or who is the greatest love of your life? My daughter and son. Thank God for the Twelve Steps and my friends in the Fellowship.

16. When and where were you happiest? I’ve always been pretty happy. Hallloween when I was 4, 8th Grade Rocket Club and MYF, the blonde haired girl with the ice cream lipstick at 17, learning to be a chef, those first years of being married were very good…but not much compares to that first year of being clean and sober after 25 years of substance abuse.

17. Which talent would you most like to have? My stock answer is being able to light my thumb.

18. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I would have liked to have been more responsible. With EVERYTHING.

19. If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be? Tough one. Maybe that I had been born to younger parents. Mine were pretty old when I came along. They were strict, sure, but it also follows that most of both sides of the family were gone way too soon. Before I knew what it meant to have them.

20. What do you consider your greatest achievement? I bought a Toyota van brand new in 1984 and drove it for 350,000 miles. And my Clean Date…8/18/2008..

21. What is your most treasured possession? An old barometer my dad would check just about daily. There was always increased attention paid to the barometer just before a fishing trip.

22. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? When the loneliness wont leave you alone.

23. Where would you like to live? Someplace that felt like home. East Texas Piney Woods. Lakeside.

24. What is your favorite occupation? Definitely being a chef was the greatest occupation ever.

25. What is the quality you most like in a man? The ability to stay good natured during times of stress.

26. What is the quality you most like in a woman? Kindness. Not an obliging nature, but true kindness. I’m a sucker for a warm heart.

27. What do you most value in your friends? A sense of humor. They going to need it.

28. Who are your favorite writers? George Will and Garrison Keillor.

29. Who is your favorite hero of fiction? Michael Valentine Smith

30. What is it that you most dislike? Being misunderstood, snubbed, or disregarded.

31. Who are your heroes in real life? My brother, a West Point grad, his son Dave, who ran ultra marathons while fighting stage 4 cancer, and my ex wife.

32. How would you like to die? I’d like to go relatively fast. Car crash, drowning accident, electrocuted while saving a cat from a tree. Don’t make me get sick and have some long protracted demise.

33. If you were to die and come back, what do you think it would be? I would like to come back as some kind of large kitchen appliance. A six burner range, black and chrome, made by Wolf would be pretty cool. See image below.

34. What is your motto? "If you think you are not part of the problem, you are part of the problem."
I have lots of mottos.

35. Bonus Question: How did you find my blog? I’m betting it was through Elizabeth at Alive on All Channels or Luke at Crashingly Beautiful.

36. Bonus Question: Why do you keep coming back to this Blog? Oh, That’s the easiest question on here. LIVE AND LEARN is part of my daily meditation and posts every day.  His commenter's are lively and entertaining. If you want to know WHY he is part of my Daily Meditation, keep coming back.


No comments: