Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Desperate in Fort Worth

 Dear Meow Town Kitty Rescue

I am desperately seeking help with a population of feral cats. I have lived here almost four years. The lady next door is an invalid. In addition to having a house full of cats, her mother fed a whole bunch of feral cats from her driveway when she would come to visit. These cats like to use my yard as a litter box. Regularly I am overrun with feral cats. They probably produce three to four litters a year. I have put up with it for almost four years.
Two weeks ago the lady next door died. The house is now vacant. The lady's mother is no longer able to come and feed these feral cats. I thought that would be the end of it. Without food and water the cats would disperse. Now the lady across the street has taken upon herself to feed them. She brings food and water into the driveway next door.
I spent several hours this week researching what, if anything, I can do about this. My plan was to trap spay and neuter. And return, which everything I read says will help control the population. After several hours of research I find it this would be difficult for me to do. The schedule of the free clinic is sporadic at best. I have called animal control and complained about this lady across the street feeding and watering the cats. As of today I'm not sure what if anything can be done about that. It hard to tell if it is illegal or not to feed feral cats. I'm told that it is.
I did suggest to the lady across the street that if she wanted to operate a 24/7 cat feeding station she should do it from her own driveway instead of my neighbors vacant house.
Of course she declined. A friend of mine that loves cats said she is probably worried about the cats having to cross the street. I told them yes that would make two things, the other one being she doesn't want all those cats at HER house.
One of the suggestions the humane society and animal control websites have is to contact a cat rescue. So that is what I'm doing. My yard smells like a litter box. On hot and humid days it's horrible. Is there anything here you can do for me?

Thank you for your consideration;
bulletholes



No comments: