Friday, September 21, 2012

I'LL SUE THE FUCK OUT OF THEM

Here is a picture of the Dr. Pepper can that came out in November of 2001 in commemoration of the 9/11 attacks.



This Special Edition can was designed to reflect national pride and unity. An image of the Statue of liberty and 3 words from the Pledge of Allegiance appeared on the can:
“One Nation…Indivisible”

Instead of inspiring unity and antional pride, it started a firestorm of dissent from folks that were offended by the omission of the words “Under God”. In 2001.
The reason I write about this now is that I note that lately a story to repost on Facebook has been appearing that claims Pepsi is attempting to market a can of similar design. I would suggest that this is a bogus story, regurgitated from the Dr. Pepper campaign, designed to fan the flames of the “Under God “ controversy.

Me? I am neither offended in a religious sense by the inclusion or omission of these words on a can of soda pop, or in the Pledge itself.


However, I am offended mildly as a writer at the inclusion of the words “Under God” in the text of the pledge as we know it, because "Under God" DID NOT appear in the original pledge as written by Frank Bellamy in 1892. Those words were added by Congress in 1954.

If anybody ever tries to add the words “Under God” to anything I write, I’ll sue the fuck out of them.


TIME MAGAZINE DID THE SAME THING...NO ONE NOTICED








2 comments:

red dirt girl said...

I am really loving your posts, I'm just too darned tired each night to make any sort of reasonable comment. So I will be treacly sweet and say Bravo, Bravo, well down again, Cowboy.

And fuck-off anyone who thinks otherwise.

xxx

bulletholes said...

I'm tired too, baby. Real tired.