Wednesday, November 28, 2012

HOPPER, ON DYLAN AND THE MAKING OF EASY RIDER



"In the end, I decided to pack the Easy Rider soundtrack with all the hits songs of the day. It was a pretty far out idea – no one had done it before. I thought it would be so cool if the movie ended with Dylan’s “It’s Alright Ma (I’m Only Bleeding)”. The problem was Dylan didn’t like Easy Rider or the song so much. He thought the track was pretentious and he had a real problem with the end of my movie – “You can’t end it like that! Peter should go back and blow those guys away.” Eventually, he said I could use it as long as I didn’t play it over the end credits – “Man, it’s depressing enough as it is.” Then he did something amazing. He got out a pen and paper and started to write – “The river flows, it flows to the sea, wherever that river flows, that’s where I want to be. Flow river, flow.” He then handed it over to me and said, “Give this to McGuinn, he’ll know what to do with it.”
FROM SABOTAGE TIMES

I can hardly believe this is the only picture I can find of Hopper and Dylan together.

2 comments:

red dirt girl said...

I met dennis hopper once when I was in my twenties and living in LA. I was out with my lesbian office manager and her gorgeous girlfriend at a small gallery opening. There he was, live and in person, leather clad and completely intimidating.

I couldn't even say hello. I think I just nodded my head, blushed a furious red and moved quickly away. He certainly was a natural 'tour de force' !

xxx

bulletholes said...

He'd be a freaky dude to meet!