Thursday, November 08, 2018

THAT RABBIT COAT

I was standing in the smoking area when suddenly this white rabbit coat appeared next to me. I'd seen her around, but hadnt met her. I took a deep draw of smoke, blew a single ring, slowly exhaled, watched the remaining fog catch the wind.
She pulled a cigarette out of her bag, twirled it twice and placed it between those red lips. I kept my gaze straight ahead. A long moment passed.
"Arent you going to light my cigarette?" she asked.
"Oh, but of course, pardon me"
My lighter worked.
I'm not sure if we were both just shy or if we were both just really cool, but we stood there wordless and smoked.
I reached the end of mine, and flipped it away. Thats the part of smoking I miss the most now, flipping the butt away.
I flipped it away and asked "So, are you going to be at Jack In The Box tonight?
"Probably not" she said, and smiled.
"Yeah, me either" I said, gave her my best grin, walked away, wondering what her name was.
Later that night I grabbed a six pack of Old Milwaukee and headed to the Box. It took two passes to find that rabbit coat.
It was hard to miss. A great start to a wonderful friendship.

No comments: