Monday, May 01, 2023

APRIL SHOWERS

 

She lived down the street from me. I was 17 and she was 14. Looking back, it seems like she and I played in the rain like this all the time. Most likely it was just one 30-minute rain shower that seemed like an eternity. I walked her home and kissed her on her front porch. It was a real kiss, and I remember being surprised I would do that, and how good she kissed for being just 14.
I think back sometimes, and wonder was it her first kiss. Judging by technique, I would say not.
If it was a "date" then it was the date all other dates are judged by.
Of course, she doesn’t quite remember any of it.

APRIL SHOWERS

She and I played in the rain

We would walk to the top of the hill

And break a small piece of twig

To float in the gutter

Back down the hill we would follow our twig-boats.

Wait patiently for them to free themselves from eddies.

Watch delighted as they bounded over and around.

Small rocks,

Clumps of leaves

Cracks in the pavement

Then skipping through the rapids

We landed at the bottom of the hill,

Drenched and happy

Running back to the top

To do it all over again.

Bullet holes 5/2013 

Sometimes when I meet a girl and think maybe I like her I wonder to myself if she is the kind of  girl that would float twigs with me.




 




No comments: