Saturday, April 18, 2020

MY SUPERPOWER

“And so I remind myself: my real challenge right now is a spiritual one. In the midst of an evolving, unprecedented crisis, can I truly practice living moment to moment? Can I take on this strange new life day by day, from a place of tender awareness rather than fear? Can I let go of the ways I thought life would unfold and save my strength to swim with the tide? Can I stay focused on what’s good, right now?” ~ Katrina Kenison, from “The gift of an ordinary day


*******

That is the challenge isnt it? I was just at the grocery. I see all the people. They are worried. Nervous. I want to reach out, but we have to keep our distance. So I find myself sauntering along with a stupid smile on my face waiting for someone to look up so I can give them my best “How do you do?”.
But people these days are so afraid to look up.
Twice, maybe three times I choked up a little over this distance that has had to be imposed. Its like a vaccuum. I just want to fill it.
A couple years ago I came into possession of a big Rudolph head. You put it over your head, and its got the big screen eyes you can see through. Suddenly you are a disney character. Ive had so much fun wearing that thing during Christmas; meetings, parties, even wore it to an art show.
An idea came over me two weeks ago. I should wear it to the grocery, with a little mask! So I posted a pic on FB and asked should I or should I not do this?
Of course everyone says yes. I could do it, it is my Superpower, doing stuff like that.
But SHOULD I?
So I made a dry run to the store. No mask, just trying to get a feel for people.
Two weeks ago was just like today. Every body is too nervous, too on edge. I don't want to appear to make light of this serious situation we are in. I don't want to disrespect anyone's dignity, or mess with their serenity. That’s the challenge.
But here one day, when things aren't so tight, maybe I wear my mask in.


''There are no easy answers, no clear path through any of this, other than caution, kindness, and care for ourselves and others.
That is the challenge...""


Until then I’ll just have to stick to a big smile and “How do you do?”










No comments: