Monday, February 04, 2013

EPIPHANY


“In Louisville, at the corner of Fourth and Walnut, in the center of the shopping district, I was suddenly overwhelmed with the realization that I loved all those people, that they were mine and I theirs, that we could not be alien to one another even though we were total strangers. It is a glorious destiny to be a member of the human race … there is no way of telling people that they are... all walking around shining like the sun.
I suddenly saw the secret beauty of their hearts, the depths of their hearts where neither sin nor desire nor self-knowledge can reach, the core of their reality, the person that each one is in God’s eyes. If only they could all see themselves as they really are. If only we could see each other that way all of the time. There would be no more war, no more hatred, no more cruelty, no more greed…”

~ Thomas Merton from Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander.

I was thinking about this Merton quote, in part, when I wrote "The Secret".

6 comments:

Lucky said...

This touches me in a way that reminds me of our association to one another. And of a simple courtesy that mean a lot ~ Thank you.

bulletholes said...

I think its just gorgeous, Lucky, and on a good day I so completely relate. I look at people and I just smile.
I saw three guys, tough looking guys, at the Latte machine at the local gas station. They were in coveralls, and they had all these beards and shaggy hair and beat up boots, and they stood in front of the Latte machine like they were six years old looking at candy bars instead of coffee, giggling and smiling and pointing at which flavor coffee they were going to have.
I smiled to myself, and I just wanted to hug them, and be in on it with them somehow, but I stirred my coffee, put the top on and headed to the register. I swear I smiled all the way to the car.
Those are the days I know I'm OK.

Kristi said...

I love your comment even more than the quote. I can just picture those guys at the latte machine! Aahh ain't life wonderful? Thanks for the reminder, my friend. <3

bulletholes said...

Thanks Kristi. I think you are right, thats one of the great things about comments I guess.

bulletholes said...

Of course, I'm no Thomas Merton!

red dirt girl said...

Yeah, well, Tom is dead and you are not - and for that I am thankful.

xxx