Friday, December 22, 2006

PEACE ON EARTH

I was tagged by "the 'roy" http://www.kilroythegonzopapers.blogspot.com/
concerning Christmas....I will contibute only that which may be noteworthy to the survey;
My favorite holiday movie is "Its a Wonderful life" which touched me quite deeply since I was just a little boy. What I feel is noteworthy, however, is how little this movie seems to mean to my children; they groan everytime I mention it and even go so far as to call it "The Longest Life" to my face... very disconcerting...no respect for the importance of friendship.
My favorite songs of the season seem to be quite at odds with each other.... the first is 'Father Christmas" by Emerson, Lake and Palmer. This song raises great doubt about the origin and validitiy of Christmas....

"They said there'd be snow at Christmas, they said there'd be peace on earth
But instead it just kept on raining, a veil of tears for the Virgin Birth
I remember one Christmas morning, a winter's light and a distant choir
And the peal of a bell and that Christmas tree smell,
and their eyes full of tinsel and fire
They sold me a dream of Christmas, they sold me a Silent Night
And they told me a fairy story 'till I believed in the Israelite
And I believed in Father Christmas, and I looked to the sky with excited eyes
And I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn, and I saw him and through his disguise
I wish you a hopeful Christmas, I wish you a brave new year
All anguish pain and sadness leave your heart and let your road be clear
They said there'd be snow at Christmas, they said there'd be peace on earth
Hallelujah Noel, be it heaven or hell, the Christmas we get we deserve"

Maybe it is a more hopeful song at second glance than it would appear to be at first...
The other song that I have come to enjoy... no, absolutely love and adore is "The Night that Christ was Born".... it may be more for the melody, so grand and uplifting, than for the lyrics, but like most songs the lyrics take on a life of their own when placed into the context of the music. I have seen someone do this on PBS that has brought me to my feet and put me to my knees, laughing as tears ran down my cheeeks.

Listen to the angels
Rejoicing e'er so sweetly
Receiving heaven's glory
The night that Christ was born

Can't you see the people
Coming from every nation
Pleading for salvation
The night that Christ was born

Oh such a wonderful savior
To be born in a manager
So that I can share His favor
And my heart be made anew

Listen to the trumpets
Shouting through the darkness
Crying 'holy, holy'
The night that Christ was born

Listen to the trumpets
Shouting through the darkness
Crying 'holy, holy'
(Now Behold the Savior)
The night that Christ was born

There are a lot of repeated choruses in this song that build on each other beautifully ....it is a truly glorious song.

As far as the rest of the list goes, I can sum it up for you with my favorite Christmas greeting.....

'Christmas is a Humbug!"



You know I don't mean it.
Peace on Earth.

7 comments:

bulletholes said...

Since i am all about music and have such a great ear I think we must give credit to Mr. Elvis Presley ( and the ladies singing backup) for "Blue Christmas" which always makes me smile to hear. He was a one of a kind, though I do not own a single album of his. I must correct this oversight, posthaste, and hope that I can find "Blue Christmas" on the same Album as "Good Luck Charm"...

Old Lady said...

Merry Christmas to you, I hope you baked your ass off!

Mother of Invention said...

We had It's a Wonderful Life given to us and I really liked it because it has such a positive upswing at the end. I love Charlie Brown best though!

Have the best one, Santa Steve!!

Barbara said...

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas! I want to hear about any and all cooking adventures. I'm happy to have made your electronic acquaintance this past year. You have certainly spiced up the comments on my Blog!

Mother of Invention said...

Barbara: Hasn't he just?!! Steve, you're a one-of-a-kind!

Annelisa said...

:-) Although I've heard the song 'Father Christmas' many a time, I never really listened to the words properly - it was good to see them here - real good lines!

Hope you're having a Wonderful Christmas, Steve, and that the year(s) ahead are happy and peaceful!

Take care

Annelisa
X

bulletholes said...

lisa- I am, at least i once was, a HUGE ELP fan...