Friday, April 04, 2008

GET OFF THAT TELEPHONE

Yeah, I know I keep posting up lyrics, but I keep on calling songs to mind...and Greg Brown, the big Preachers son Iowa Farm boy with the voice of a Grizzly Bear is always good with his tenderhearted truthfullness...

I was jabberin' away on my cell phone today in line at ...wherever...and I realized for the umpteenth time that I was so distracted I may as well have been...well... on the Moon.
The call was not important, none of them ever really are...so I said
"I'll call you back, I want to talk to a cashier" and hung up.
I had a nice conversation with the cashier. Its not the first time I've done this.

The people behind me looked at me like I was...well... from the Moon.



'Cept You & Me, Babe

half the people you see these days are talking on cell phones
driving off the road & bumping into doors
people used to spend quite a bit of time alone
i guess nobody's lonely anymore
'cept you & me babe 'cept you & me

it's raining sheets of rain everything is cold and wet
nobody's going out of doors
they're all at home living it up on the internet
so i guess nobody's lonely any more
'cept you and me babe 'cept you and me

people meet somebody new & they leave the rest behind
we can have it all even though our lives are short
the kids they'll get used to it it happens all the time
no one is even surprised any more
'cept you and me babe 'cept you and me

i take my coffee black or with a little cream
i wake up every morning with the sun
i wanted to be your man that was nothing but a sweet dream
i always tell the truth to everyone
'cept you and me babe 'cept you and me


3 comments:

Dave Renfro said...

Very Stevelike, Steve. I'm sure you made that cashier's day!

Old Lady said...

I would have never figured you for a frequent cell phone user. I use mine once or twice a day!

bulletholes said...

I'm not, and it strikes me as rude the way people move through their day with that phone stuck to their ear!