Wednesday, June 10, 2009

OLD FLAME


"Nostalgia - it's delicate, but potent.
... in Greek, 'nostalgia' literally means 'the pain from an old wound.'
It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn't a spaceship, it's a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards... it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the wheel, it's called the carousel.
It let's us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know we are loved."
The Mad Men

4 comments:

Martijn said...

Nostalgia doesn't agree with me. I never knew it meant old wound but that is precisely right. Talking about nostalgia, I placed a comment to one of your older post, related to this topic.

http://srevestories.blogspot.com/2009/06/rocky-mountain-high.html

West Texas Insomniac said...

"Nostalgia" is what they were talking about when they said,

"One day we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car."

It's not necessarily a bad thing though, in small doses. It's said that humans are the only animals aware that they'll die someday. We might also be the only animal capable of longing for the past.

Martijn said...

W.T.I., your comments are highly appreciated by me! Spot on. See that same link as here above, where I fully agree to your comment at the other post.

Martijn

soubriquet said...

I'm feeling somewhat nostalgic, myself. Burn, baby, burn !