Wednesday, January 03, 2007

MODERN LOVE'S A LOADED GUN

Whats next?
I've got a New years Resolution...my first one ever...precipitated by a gift I received from my sister...a $150 Shirt.
I don't smoke anymore and I have been working a desk job for two years. I eat like a Farm Hand. I have gained about 40 pounds.
I have reached the height weight and shape that causes even the most perfectly cut material to wear like a Feedbag.
I see these commercials that say "check with your Doctor to make sure you are healthy enough for Sex". They can keep their little pills... but I need to lose some weight...its right there in the Scout Oath...

Mother of Invention http://felinehangout.blogspot.com/ had a Poem a few weeks back with a Teeter-Totter and I know one with a Teeter -Tottter as well...

HERE IN THE GOING, GOING, GONE

Dark laughter on the teeter-totter,
an old song floats across the water,
I know I should pack up and move on.
One-note Johnnies proliferate,
the wind rises, the hour is late
here in the going going gone.

My heart ain't mine, my heart is yours -
or else I left it out-of-doors
like a baseball glove out on the lawn.
I'd walk through fire to retrieve it,
but still you never would believe it
here in the going going gone.

Everywhere you look you see
more of you and more of me
scrambling for the goods, the lines are drawn.
peace and quiet - is there any?
We are the beautiful too many -
here in the going going gone.

Modern Love's loaded gun.
I live alone and love everyone
and I feel pretty good. Is that so wrong?
Passion called and I would blow it.
Now I'm an old Chinese poet
here in the going going gone.

Porch full of winter squash and pumpkin,
Summer's always really somethin',
but one day fall arrives with a chilly dawn.
While lovers make love in warm beds,
the forsaken sit and scratch their heads
here in the going going gone.

The rain keeps falling on the flood.
The flower closes to a bud.
All my gifts you say are just a con.
But I'll always want to be your friend.
That is my prayer until Amen -
here in the going going gone.

This is the "Sister" song to one I posted in the comment box a while back.
It is by Greg Brown from the Album "The Poet Game". I referenced this Album on my post Titled "November" and recommend it highly. We will see more of Mr. Brown here, I am sure!

6 comments:

Dave Renfro said...

Great song! I would probably really enjoy it if it didn't remind me of that dreadful "Hows the frost out on the pumpkin?" song by Johnny Cash. I hate that song!

Barbara said...

As for your extra pounds, a combination of exercise, giving up bread and crackers and junk in general, and downsizing on portions will take them off in no time. Guaranteed. You can still eat some things you like, just not as much of them! Good luck. Loved the poem, but the title sort of scares me.

Old Lady said...

$150 shirt!!!!!?

Mother of Invention said...

Thanks for the ref, Steve.
Neat poem I've never seen...so is the Going Going Gone referring to the poundage you want to lose?!!!
Good luck with that...I think it's difficult to de-pound. "Lardification" is so easy!

bulletholes said...

I love to eat.. and I have no will power or self discipline for stuff like diets or exercise. I've never had to concern myself with it before. Getting old.
Its a hell of a shirt...I'll never wear it, noy because of the fit as much as its a little too fancy for me!

Annelisa said...

Well, maybe it's time for that camping trip, and only rations you can carry! (either that, or you make it really difficult and say you have to catch all your own food! Soon lose a few pounds that way!! :-D

And, if you do, then you should wear your shirt - just because it cost money, doesn't mean you don't deserve to wear it. I say 'wear your best every day - isn't every day an occassion!?!' (I don't have any other occassions to wear my best (sad bugger I am! :-D )