Tuesday, January 09, 2007

"OLD FOLKS BOOGIE...BOOGIE THEY WILL..." littlefeat

I don’t know if I have have expressed to you previously how enjoyable it is to take a Bicycle to work. It seems I have made a few friends between home and work but it is the people that you are able to get only a glimpse of that can be the most interesting.

I have started to watch my diet and have been doughnut free for a week now. Its not just the doughnuts I shall miss.

At the local Doughnut shop there are 10 men (seniors) who are there 4-5 days a week. And 1 sweet little lady that comes in 3-4 days a week. The men Jockey for a position at the table of the lady, they call her Dootsie.
Dootsie waits on them and they fall all over each other, torn between playing hard to get and trying to be Sir Gallahad.

On a morning several weeks ago, one of the men had to leave and excused himself from Dootsies table.
At the other table there were 4 men who had not been in time to sit with Dootsie. While they looked at each other to see who would jump up to take the departed’s place, Dootsie VERY demurely asks:
“Well, isn’t one of ya’ll gonna come sit with me?”
I had to grin, and one of the men gets up and says real gruffly:
“I been tryin’ to all morning” and feighning a certain amount of indifference, goes and takes his place next to Dootsie.
Its just so cute!
So last week I notice that Dootsie has not been around and the group of men is beginning to shrink.
So I finally have to ask;
“Where is ya’lls girlfriend?”
It’s the first time I have ever spoken to them, but we have always used the manly and polite “nod” as a greeting. My question raises a chuckle, and one of the men replies:
“Aw, She is with Jim this morning”.
So I say “Have you guys been ditched altogether or is it Jims turn today?”
Another chuckle and one of the men, without even looking up from his paper says in a matter-of-fact voice:
“It won’t last”.
Too funny.
A few days later I go to a different Doughnut shop. Guess who is there?
Yup, Dootsie and Jim.
I pretend not to see them but they have spotted me, and shrink somewhat into their booth.

The next morning I go to the regular shop. The group is down to five men. I tell them I have seen Dootsie and Jim at the Shop around the corner.
They exchange knowing grins.
“Yes, we know allllll about it “ one tells me.
The one with the paper never looks up.
“It won’t last” he mutters.

Tommorrow I’ll have to tell you about the 70 year old “Biker” chicks...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that story.

Just a simple observation of an everyday experience.

Old Lady said...

Coffee shops early in the morning are so poetic. I love to be a part of it-when I can drag my ass out of bed!

GrizzBabe said...

TOO FUNNY!! It would be worth the extra calories just to keep up with the goings on at the doughnut shop

Anonymous said...

I love this slice of life story.....can't wait to hear about 70 yr old biker chicks!!

I've been thinking all that walking and riding the bike to work should be slimming you down...now I know the culprit - those doughnuts........!! I'm a sucker for double chocolate buttermilks......which is why I just have to stay away (can't say NO......)

rdg

Barbara said...

This reminds me of how my father met my mother in Pittsburgh in 1941. He was a student engineer and he ate at a diner every day with the same group of guys. She also ate there, undoubtedly because it was the cheapest place in town. They flipped a coin to see who would ask her out and my father (probably the shyest man in history) won! Many a love has been born over food.

soubriquet said...

Automatic Sam told Everready Betty told Prestcold Milly
With the long black wavey mane
Oh listen little girl don't you understand?
Oh, you ain't too old
No you ain't too old
Well you ain't too old
As long as you can boogie you ain't too old....

Captain Beefheart, A.k.a Don Van Vliet, 'Tarotplane' from 'Mirror Man'
Red Dirt Girl sent me here, and she was right, I'll be back to read more, learn about life in the kitchen, and of course, I need to know what happens next... No you aint too old, as long as you can boogie, you aint too old.......

Mother of Invention said...

What a hoot! You get a kick out of just observing human behaviour as I do! We are kinda funny and you don't miss a thing. I love people watching.

Keep biking, but ya gotta go visit the donut shop at least once in awhile!

bulletholes said...

tHE WORLD MOVES SO FAST THAT WE MISS SO MUCH THESE DAYS... THERE WAS A TIME WHEN i WOULD GET UPSET IF 3 PEOPLE WERE AHEAD OF ME IN LINE IN TRAFFIC ANYWHERE... I'LL DESCRIBE MORE ABOUT MY RIDE TO WORK WHERE i HAVE TAKEN THE TOIME TO MAKE FRIENDS ALNG THE WAY... THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN IN AN SUV...

I have been very busy so I will post one I have had in the works fora while...