Friday, January 06, 2012

SHARP AS A TACK


My brother, Don Renfro, his first year at West Point. Davy sent me this picture years ago, and I love it.
Don fell to cancer January 4, 1997. He was a retired Lt. Colonel, 56 years old..
I remember the way the West Point yearbook described him:
"A quick wit and sure smile".
Yeah, he sure was that.

A classmate in an online eulogy says:
"Sometimes we'd wonder if he ever took anything seriously, then we'd see his class rank".

My first memory of Don was on the front porch, where I was taking a piss. I was about 3 years old. Don snatched me up and spanked me. He took that serious enough. I always pissed off the back porch after that.

My brother Don was sharp. He reminds me so much of my dad, without the cigar and gruff. Don was 16 when I was born, and he was off to College and to the Point by the time I was two, then Vietnam and Panama and Saudi Arabia, and sometimes I wonder how many times I actually got to spend any time with my brother.
I do miss him so.


1 comment:

red dirt girl said...

I remember this. I bet you do miss him. Hug.

xxx