Monday, August 08, 2011

SCHOOLS OUT

My advancement towards a remedial program began in the 9th grade when I stopped doing my algebra homework. Somehow I still made an A even though I had no idea what was going on with algebra. But the A I did not deserve earned me a slot in Honors Geometry in the 10th grade. Mom and dad were very proud, but I didn’t much want to do my homework in geometry either, and also found (though I didn’t realize it at the time) that without knowing what was happening with algebra, there were some things going on with geometry that I’d probably never catch on to. Mr. Barker was my teacher.
I flunked. It was my first class ever to flunk.

The next year I took Chemistry and I didn’t much want to do my homework in Chemistry either, and also found (though I didn’t realize it at the time) that without knowing what was happening with algebra, and geometry too, there were some things going on with Chemistry that I’d probably never catch on to. Mr. Barker was my teacher again.
I flunked. It was my second class ever to flunk.

So, I became a a Senior the next year without a single math credit, and I was informed that I needed to take Remedial Math in order to graduate. Remedial Math might sound easy, but that's a lot of pressure! When I walked into class that first day, who did I find to teach me Remedial Math but my old buddy MR BARKER!

I walked in and shook his hand and he said “Steve, as soon as I call roll you can go down and change classes if you like” and I said “Oh no Mr. Barker, count me in, I’m not leaving this school till I pass one of your classes!” Luckily, they didn't make us do homework (by the time you get to a class like this they understand you will not be doing any homework), or try top teach us preposterous sounding equations like "Let X=Y".
And I passed!

1 comment:

Kim said...

the useless subject algebra continues to be the bane of my existence. I dropped it a couple of months ago without even attempting a single problem. I don't have the discipline to do homework either, Mr BH. Consequently, I am on academic probation. I can't take any other classes until I suck it up.