Wednesday, March 28, 2007

FISHERMANS LUCK

"the pleasantist thing in angling
is to see the fish on golden oar
shoot through the silver stream
and greedily devour the treacherous bait"

william shakespeare

I've got those Spring Fishin blues....

I think the Bard had done a little fishing himself ...he pretty well summed it up for us.

I tried to teach my good friend Kem how to fish with plastic worms. He really had no feel for fishing but loved to get out there. I had caught a couple of fish and kept giving him instructions on technique and what to watch for. There is an Art to Fishing, and especially with Artificial Lures. You have to make an inanimate object look alive.
I caught another fish...
He asked me to show him one more time and handed me his pole which was already casted out.

I start bumpin' ol' worm back in.
"One...two... three... little taps with the rodtip Kem,
then slowly lower the tip...reeling in tha slack slowly, keep the line a little taut...

"As the treacherous bait floats down , Kem,
Floats down, down, deeper into the lower stratas
Into the dark, dark as thy doubts , Kem
And Dark as thy Heart, Ol' Friend
Where the Moss and Mermaid hide
One... Two... Three..., Kem, lower away the bait
Seething into the yawning jaws abide and
Whirling Heart that steathily waits
Where Gods creatures chase and claw and fang each other,
Since the begining of Time
On all sides of the Universe and on both sides of land
All the while, Kem, you must BE the rodtip,
Be the tip of your rod, the rigging, the spar
Feeling, reeling for a slight change in tension
Feeling for the Murderous twitch, a jam or jar
The Death Stitch, mark well thy thread,
The poisonous pathways
That lay now woven in the watery woeful depths
For any unseemly movement,
Or abrupt commotion... "

It was about then that the Fish had heard about enough of me and came breeching into the Glorious light, the warm and pleasant sun, and all the delights of air and earth.

"GOT HIM" and I set the hook on a 5 pound bass.
I handed Kem the rod and he was looking at me like I was from outer space.


An hour later Kem wants to try something else. I suggest the weedless spoon, thinking that all that flash and action will at least keep Kem occupied.
Well I was wrong.
Kem worked that spoon like there was an old boot tied to the end of his line. When he casted , the lure would sail so high, almost out of sight, and when it smacked the water it was like a Six-Pound Shell had been launched, discharged from a Spanish Cannon on a Pirate Ship. After watching for a while I grabbed the rod out of his hand. I casted out and had that spoon dancing.

"Like this, Kem, you have to make it look alive and scared"
and then the water exploded and I caught an 8 pound bass, biggest Bass I ever caught

"Holy Shit, Steve, you are enough to piss off the Pope"
An hour later we went and got Kem some live worms and I put him on the end of the dock where he caught Bluegills all afternoon.

He was in heaven.



Heres a couple of guys that love to wet a hook...



They ought to be Keel-Hauled!

12 comments:

kissyface said...

what is the Billy Shakes quotation form? I don't recognize it.

You a Taj Mahal fan, Steve? Here's one of my favorite of his tunes, Fishin' Blues:

Betcha' goin' fishin' all o' da' time
Baby goin' fishin' too.
Bet yo' life, Yo' sweet wife
Catch mo' fish than you.

Many fish bites if ya' got good bait,
Here's a little tip that I would like to relate.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait.
I'ma goin fishin', Yes I'm goin' fishin,
And my baby goin' fishin' too.

I went on down to my fav'rit fishin' hole
Baby grab me a pole an' line.
Throw my pole on in, caught a nine poun' catfish
Now ya' know I brought 'im home for suppertime.

Provin' any fish bites if ya' got good bait,
Here's a little tip that I would like to relate.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait.
I'ma goin fishin', Yes I'm goin' fishin,
And my baby goin' fishin' too.

Baby brother 'bout to run me outta my mind,
Say, can I go fishin' wi' chu?
I took 'im on down to the fishin' hole
Now what do you think that he did do?
Pulled a great big fish out da' bottom o' da pond,
Now he laughed and jumped 'cause he was real gone.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait.
I'ma goin fishin', Yes I'm goin' fishin,
And my baby goin' fishin' too.

Put 'im in da' pot baby put 'im in da' pan
Honey cook 'im 'til he nice an' brown.
Make a batch o' buttermilk, Hoe cakes Mama
An' ya' chew them thangs an' ya' chomp 'em on down

Singin' any fish bites if ya' got good bait,
Here's a little tip that I would like to relate.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait.
I'ma goin fishin', Yes I'm goin' fishin,
And my baby goin' fishin' too.

Play da' blues.....

Betcha' goin' fishin' all o' da' time
Baby goin' fishin' too.
Bet yo' life, Yo' sweet wife
She gonna Catch mo' fish than you.

Many fish bites if ya' got good bait,
O Here's a little tip that I would like to relate.
Many fish bites if ya' got good bait.
I'ma goin fishin', Mama's goin' fishin,
And the baby goin' fishin' too

GEWELS said...

... But when I am alone in the half light of the canyon all existence seems to fade to a being with my soul and memories. And the sounds of the Big Black Foot River and a four count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise. Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

Robert Redford- A River Runs Through It
Greatest movie.

I am a huge fly-fishing fan. Got brand new gear last year and have yet to use it. Yesterday on my fabulous drive through Western Md. I came upon a beautiful, rushing trout stream. I just may have to head back there this weekend and check out my new rod.

BTW- nice shot, which one is you? Just curious.

Mother of Invention said...

8lb Bass?! Are you telling us a fish tale? Man, what do they feed on down there...pecan pie?!!
Biggest one I've caught is 4
1/2....and always catch them on frogs.
I've also used Williams Wobblers since that was my maiden name.


#### KISSYFACE! ###!!!

I was just going to tell him that song and there it was! I never knew where it came from! Thanks! I love this song and I used to play guitar and sing it with my Gr. 6's at school! Only different word I see was Corn cakes instead of Hoe cakes. What are Hoe cakes?

bulletholes said...

Kissy- its from "Much ado About Nothing"... the last of the line is
"So angle we for Beatrice; who even now
Is couched in the woodbine coverture.
Fear you not my part of the dialogue"
I do dig the Taj... I didn'tknow this one though

Gewels- I have broken a lot of Fly Rods...through abuse...never fished for Trouts though.
If you will look real close at that picture, you will see its none other than the two Bush Boys...taking advantage of the high water in New Orleans...Hah

Mother--Pecan pies, dear lord you crack me up! "Hoe Cakes" are pancakes cooked on a Garden Hoe when you got no skillet.

GEWELS said...

Steve- Is the blonde hair that I was born with starting to show?
I actually did look closely and noticed the senior Mr. Bush.
And, truth be told, I was hoping you were the one on the right-(not the political right, mind you) lol.

kissyface said...

Mother - Steve-o is right. Hoe cakes were, in fact, cooked on the metal spatula of a hoe, over the fire, I believe. It's an early American Settler thing, or so they taught us in grade school.

Steve - Dang! I should know it, as it's one of my favorite plays. The funny thing is, when I read it, I thought "Now Shakespeare, the master of double and even triple meaning probably worked in a sexual connotation (which was coursing through his comedies) in there, especially as it involved both 'catching' and 'fish.' Somehow, I just didn't see him as an ardent Bass Master. Ooh, I've a funny story about that, but I'll save it for my blog.

Btw - fourth date with the Texan last night. I think it could be love. He's really a gentleman inside and out. I'm in trouble. Not only did he work on the boats in the Gulf, he went to college, he wicked smaht, and he was an accomplished fencer. Mostly I just like the way he grins at me. What is not to love about all that?

Anonymous said...

In order to contrast the amazing linguistic verbosity displayed here, I only have one word:

WOW.

Old Lady said...

Little fishy in the brook
Won't you come and bite my hook?

bulletholes said...

RDG- Do "verbosity" mean what i think it do?

OlLady always gets right to the point.

Kissy- You sound purty well smitten. a good feelin' when you can get it. A SeamanFencer with aWickd smile..I bet his momma's proud.

Gewels- i have stated that i am partial to red (heads) but what i didn't say was I have a hard time even lookin' a Blonde in the eye..I just get woobbly...Blonde myself as well.

Dave Renfro said...

Reading about bass fishing is like scratching an itch through your shoe!

GEWELS said...

And just so you know. I sang that damn Dixie Chicken song alllll day long yesterday.
Boy was I cussing you out- HA!

Mother of Invention said...

Hoe Cakes on a hoe? Blec! All that dirt for free! Glad I wasn't an early settler!